During this 9 hour block of instruction students will be taught basic life-saving medical interventions, including bleeding control with a tourniquet, bleeding control with gauze packs or topical hemostatic agents, and opening an airway to allow a casualty to breathe. The course is designed for NON tactical law enforcement officers, firefighters, security personnel, teachers and other civilians requiring this basic training.
At the completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the rationale for early use of a tourniquet for life-threatening extremity bleeding.
- Demonstrate the appropriate application of a tourniquet to the arm and leg.
- Describe the progressive strategy for controlling hemorrhage.
- Describe appropriate airway control techniques and devices.
- Demonstrate the correct application of a topical hemostatic dressing (combat gauze).
Class is structured into 2 sections:
The first 4 hours covers CPR and AED and the remaining 4 hours is dedicated to bleeding control.